Zane had his two month check-up on Monday and it went very well. He weighs 10 pounds 3 ounces and is 24 inches long. He is really tall for his age. His is kind of a skinny kid still, but doing just fine. We have been fortifying his feedings with a little bit of formula added to breast milk every other feeding and we have to continue doing that, which means I have to keep pumping, which isn't fun, but oh well. We do what we have to. I can let him sleep for a 6 hour stretch at night now so that is wonderful. I have now had two nights of getting 5 hours of consecutive sleep. Well, kind of. I still wake up automatically every few hours and feel the need to check on Zane. I wonder how long that will last. Zane sleeps the six hours just fine. What a good boy :)
When the doctor came in on Monday, the first question he had was, "So, does Zane move or support his head at all?" Well, wasn't I the proud mother as I laid Zane on his tummy and showed Dr. S what Zane can do! Dr. S was impressed almost beyond words. He just looked at me and said, "This is better than typical kids his age!" Zane held his head up great. When Dr. S was holding him and examining him, Zane looked around and turned his head. He is just the cutest thing! What an amazing boy!
Everything else looks good too. He is a healthy boy (besides the oxygen, which will be there until at least November). There are lots of medical complications that can come with Down syndrome and I have been reading up on them. I had a list of things I wanted to make sure Dr. S was aware of and would keep an eye out for. He knew about all of them and seemed impressed that I had already made myself familiar with a lot of that stuff and said that he was glad I had, it "makes us partners" in taking care of Zane. I liked the wording of that because I want to be involved and aware and educated on everything that goes on with Zane medically to the best of my ability and Dr. S wants that too. He has been a great doctor and I am grateful to have a good doctor that we like.
I went to lunch with my mom and our dear friend Janet yesterday. Janet has a daughter with a chromosomal abnormality, not Downs but something else, who is about 28 years old. It was so good to talk to her. She knows what is ahead for me and Rob and it was good to hear what she had to say. If anything, it helps to know we need to keep our sense of humor about life and let Zane bring us laughter. Janet and her family are wonderful and have lived full, fun, happy lives. It is good to see that example set before us of all the exquisiteness that lies ahead.
But the thing that Janet said that seemed the most important was that Rob and I will never have any pride. In studying the gospel and the life of the Savior, it is so easy to see that pride, that pride of the natural man, has no place in the life of a celestial being. Rob and I both have lived our lives to this point as fairly prideful people. Sure we are good people, but we lacked patience and understanding for others, I always think that I am right, and we pass judgment on others that we shouldn't. All of those things, among others, are elements of pride that we possess. I think that one of the reasons that all of this was so difficult for Rob in the beginning was that he knew, deep down, that this releasing of pride was something that he had to learn, that Zane was going to teach him that, but that it was something he did not want to learn. It is a hard lesson, one we will continue to learn for years to come I am sure. But I can feel it being stripped away from us even now. It started out as a painful process, but as we become more accustomed to it, we can feel that we are being shaped and changed into the people that our Heavenly Father would have us be. He is helping us become worthy of what He longs to give us someday, which is everything He has. It is funny to think we actually thought we could live life as we were, secretly knowing we didn't have many Christlike qualities, not wanting to really learn, love and sacrifice in order to become what this gospel that we so strongly profess to believe in wants us to become. In fact, requires us to become if we want to receive the blessing of celestial glory. Which is what we are all striving for, right?
So we are grateful for Zane beyond measure. He is giving us so much more than we could ever give him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Great job, Whit. I'm so glad Zane is progressing. We love the three of you and pray for your continued success But, have pride!
ReplyDeleteBob
Dear Whitney,
ReplyDeleteIt was so fun to spend time with you and to see sweet Zane in person--what a delightful baby. I know you and Rob will always be very proud to be the parents of such an incredible child, but you will always be very humbled by being taught life's lessons by an angel. Zane is such a lucky little guy to have the parents he has. He will always accomplish amazing things because of your love and patience. Love, Janet
As I was sitting at lunch with the three of you, I couldn't help but feel very blessed to be in the presence of such angelic, wonderful people. I know Heavenly Father has been very careful in the placement of His dear children, and I've come to know even more that Zane is with our family to bless us and teach us. And there could not be a better mother for McCall than Janet. Just as you were placed in our family, Whitney, Zane has come to us with special care as well. You are the perfect mother for him. It will be a thrill to watch this journey unfold.
ReplyDeleteDad, I think you missed Whitney's point re "pride."
ReplyDeleteWhitney I love you and your family! Cadence is constantly talking about Zane and how much she misses Zane and how she wants to see him. Which is funny because she's never actually met him. Just goes to show what a connection he'll have with his cousins and aunts and uncles, brothers, sisters..etc.
ReplyDeleteHe's only 2 months old and he's already taught us so much about the Gospel and life in general. You certainly have a very sweet and incredible spirit in that strong little boy of yours. Love you!
I know without a doubt, as you do Kerry Lynn, that Whitney and Rob were chosen to be Zane's parents. I'm honored to call them my son and daughter. I'm so looking forward to and want to treasure my association with Zane in this life.
ReplyDeleteI love your little family more than words can say.
Yay, Zane! I'm glad he's doing so well. I can't wait to see him again.
ReplyDeleteBeing a parent really stretches you and helps you grow in ways that nothing else can. It brings all your weaknesses to the forefront but then, if you work on it, parenthood helps those weaknesses become strengths. It is and will be really special to see the ways a special child like Zane will help those who love him grow. I am so inspired by your thoughts, Whitney. Thanks for sharing!